We sold a rental property last year and used the Section 1031 Tax Deferred Exchange law to defer the gains into another like-kind property. How do I handle this transaction on my tax return?

Report the exchange of like-kind property on Form 8824, Like-Kind Exchanges. The instructions for the form explain how to report the details of the exchange. Report the exchange even though no gain or loss is recognized.

If you have any taxable gain because you received money or unlike property, report it on Form 4797, Sales of Business Property, and Form 1040, SCHEDULE D, Capital Gains and Losses. Refer to Publication 544, Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets, which has a detailed section on like-kind exchanges.

Comments are closed.